A pain specialist and physiotherapist discuss their own particular aspect of care of this patient with chronic pain following a total hip replacement.
- Risk factors for chronic postsurgical pain following total hip replacement include chronic hip pain before surgery, female gender, increased body mass index, anxiety and depression.
- Effective pain management in this case requires a multimodal, multidisciplinary approach.
- Consistent communication between healthcare professionals can positively influence outcome in individuals with chronic pain.
- Pain management starts with screening for surgical complications and red flag conditions.
- Trialling nerve blocks and musculoskeletal injections with local anaesthetic and corticosteroids may help identify and treat ‘pain generators’ in the hip region.
- The patient should be referred to a physiotherapist for functional rehabilitation.